A POSTCARD FROM FT. BENNING:
HOME OF THE INFANTRY

Coordinates: 32°21′58″N 84°58′09″W

Type: Army post

Site information: Controlled by United States Army

Website: Official Website

Site history: Built 1909; 113 years ago

In use 1918–present


Length: 12 minutes 

Genre: PSA / Documentary 

Location: Columbus, GA 

Timebase: 29.73 frames/seconds

Sources: MCoE; with transcription 

of the Film: (1970) "Spirit of Ft. Benning"

Original aspect ratio: 1.33:1;

Colour; PAL;

Format: DVD9.

Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 11.28.24 AM.png

Postcard of Souvenir Folder of Columbus and Fort Benning Georgia

THE SPIRIT OF FORT BENNING

Fort Benning is a United States Army post straddling the AlabamaGeorgia border next to Columbus, Georgia. It is named after Henry L. Benning, a brigadier general in the Confederate States Army during the Civil War. Fort Benning is one of ten U.S. Army installations named for former Confederate Generals. Fort Benning supports more than 120,000 active-duty military, family members, reserve component soldiers, retirees, and civilian employees on a daily basis. It is a power projection platform and possesses the capability to deploy combat-ready forces by air, rail, and highway.  

Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 12.52.10 PM.png

Length: 28 minutes 

Genre: PSA 

Location: Columbus, GA 

Camp Benning was established October 19, 1918, initially providing basic training for World War I units, post-war. Dwight D. Eisenhower served at Benning from December 24, 1918, until March 15, 1919, with about 250 of his Camp Colt, Pennsylvania tankers who transferred to Benning after the armistice. On December 26, 1918, a portion of the Camp Polk (near Raleigh, North Carolina) tank school was transferred to Camp Benning "to work in conjunction with the Infantry school". Camp Benning tank troops were moved to Camp Meade from February 19–21, 1919.   [source: wikipedia]

00:00 / 04:54

Fort Benning is the home of the United States Army Maneuver Center of Excellence, the United States Army Armor SchoolUnited States Army Infantry School, the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation, elements of the 75th Ranger Regiment, the 1st Security Force Assistance Brigade, and other tenant units. ​Since 1909, Fort Benning has served as the Home of the Infantry. Since 2005, Fort Benning has been transformed into the Maneuver Center of Excellence, as a result of the 2005 Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) Commission's decision to consolidate a number of schools and installations to create various "centers of excellence". Included in this transformation was the move of the Armor School from Fort Knox to Fort Benning...  [read more]

2011.065.1541_1.jpg

U.S.A ARMY Archive Photo of Soldiers in a type of Kayak crossing the Chattahoochee River.

Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 1.31.01 PM.png

The infantry School. Building

Souvenir Postcards of Columbus and Fort Benning, Georgia (1900 - 1950)

Title: Souvenir Folder of Columbus and Fort Benning, Georgia

Description: Postcard (Archive Collection)

Location: South Columbus and Fort Benning, Georgia

Date: 1900 - 1950

Collection: Chattahoochee Valley Regional Library System 

Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 11.29.09 AM.png

4 x 6 inch10.16 x 15.24 cm101.6 x 152.4 mm

Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 11.29.23 AM.png

4 x 6 inch10.16 x 15.24 cm101.6 x 152.4 mm

postcard.jpg

4 x 6 inch10.16 x 15.24 cm101.6 x 152.4 mm

card00077_fr.jpeg

Stock #:46983

Type:Postcard

Era:Linen

City:Fort Benning

State:Georgia (GA)

County:Chattahoochee

Publisher:The White Company

Size:3.5" x 5.5" (9 x 14 cm)

Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 2.28.16 PM.jpg

Paratroop Training Towers, Fort Benning, Ga. 2022

Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 2.29.02 PM.jpg

Paratroop Training Towers, Fort Benning, Ga. 2022

card00417_fr.jpeg

Stock #:834822

Type:Postcard

Era:Linen

City:Fort Benning

State:Georgia (GA)

County:Chattahoochee

Publisher:The White Company

Size:3.5" x 5.5" (9 x 14 cm)

Fort_Benning__Home_of_the_Infantry__-_DPLA_-_3355dd20d4813c55ecac05b2a8c894e9.pdf.jpg

Fort Benning "Home of the Infantry"  

postcard.png

Fort Benning "Home of the Infantry"